Simple Ways to Properly Take Care of Your FeetJan 04, 2023
The feet are taken for granted by many people who may not be aware of simple steps that can be performed that may yield maximum benefits. When shoes fit properly with enough room for the toes to move about in, the feet will feel comfortable for the majority of the day. Washing the feet daily followed by utilizing a good moisturizer will help the skin to feel smooth, and may prevent a foot condition that is known as cracked heels. It’s imperative to properly trim the toenails, which is done by trimming straight across the nail, as this may prevent ingrown toenails from developing. Research has shown that when shoes are purchased, it’s beneficial to try them on in the middle of the day when the feet are at their largest. Additionally, the importance of changing your socks daily may eliminate certain foot odors. If you would like additional information on how to properly care for your feet, please consult with a podiatrist.
The Elderly and Their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet and can hide many life-threatening medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
Frustrated With Your Foot Pain?
Not sure what to do?
Not sure who to ask?
Fill in the form and one of our highly qualified team will be in touch, to discuss your specific problem.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.